Lake Mountain day trip

I was so taken by my drive to Lake Mountain that I came home and told my daughter then drove back there the following day.

We lived in close proximity to Marysville when it was decimated by firestorms in 2009. You can still see the eerie white trees that were left standing from one hundred or so kilometers away. This was the first time I'd taken a drive through the forest from Marysville, past Lake Mountain Ski Resort to Warburton. The scene here now lends itself to a Stephen King film and in some regards is more ghostly than a black charred forest. It resembles virgin territory now with lush bracken and fern sprouting up underneath surrounding the ghost gums. It's hard for me to believe I've looked at this forest from a distance pretty much every day since 2009 but never actually driven through it. These photos are sourced from the internet (I still have my phone off mostly and couldn't be bothered with a camera) and don't do it any justice. Because this is snow country there is an additional lovely lushness to this place, an untouched beauty that you don't find in other forests. I've lived half my life bushwalking through National/State parks and this one is by far the loveliest. Marysville has re-built itself now, albeit with more modern buildings, and deserves our patronage. Support your local snow towns and take a day trip today :)









 






Comments

Popular Posts